The nutrition and dietetics department comprises of a team of specialist dietitians who work across Northwick Park & St Mark's Hospitals, Central Middlesex Hospital and Harrow Primary Care Trust.
We provide a comprehensive range of services to assist multidisciplinary teams in treating a whole range of conditions. Dietary interventions include input to gastroenterology, diabetes, head and neck, surgical, and palliative care services. Our services cover adults and children through inpatients, outpatients, GP surgeries, health centres, nursing/residential homes, people’s own homes and schools.
We have a fast growing team of 36 dietitians working in the acute and community setting, one dietetic assistant and six support staff, all working together to offer a high quality clinical service as well as offering educational and teaching services.
Description of service
We assess and treat diet and nutrition related problems, providing effective, evidence based nutritional assessment and dietary advice to patients, their carers and all staff involved in patient care. We also provide extensive training and education to patients and health care professionals.
We offer specialised services to inpatients, outpatients and in the community from departments located across Northwick Park, St Mark's and Central Middlesex Hospitals.
Our services support patients who need nutritional support:
- Intensive Treatment Unit (ITU) - enteral/parental nutrition
- Head and neck cancer and maxillofacial surgery
- Diabetes - carbohydrate counting, type 1 and type 2 diabetes education
- Stroke and elderly care - working closely within the multidisciplinary team
- Collaborative Care Team - ensuring safe discharge with complete package of care
- Palliative Care - offering inpatient and outpatient services as well as domiciliary visits when required
- Mental health
- Neurology - working closely with the Healthcare and Rehabilitation Team (HART)
- Paediatrics - Inpatient and outpatient services
- Catering services - working to ensure that individual nutritional needs are met
In addition, St Marks Hospital offers:
- Management of complex intestinal failure patients requiring specialised enteral and parenteral nutrition.
- Research in to nutritional and immune function of patients on home parenteral nutrition.
Community and outreach services
Community outreach services within GP clinics provide a comprehensive assessment and advisory service for all GP practices in Harrow.
The services provide:
- Nutritional support and advice for community teams who manage people that require ongoing nutritional follow-up either at home or in nursing homes.
- Health promotion and prevention, raising awareness of diabetes, heart disease, stroke and healthy living.
- Home Enteral Nutrition (HEN) – facilitating a smooth transfer from hospital to home, and ensuring best care and support for patients who require tube feeding at home.
- School dietitians who help schools meet food and nutrition standards as well as promoting healthy eating to pupils, parents and school staff.
Central Middlesex Hospital
- Admin team CMH
020 8453 2580/020 8453 2698 9am-5pm
- Acute Services manager
020 8453 2469 9am-5pm
Northwick Park and St Mark's Hospitals
- Admin Team NPSM
020 8869 2666/020 8869 2659 9am-5.30pm
- Acute Services manager
020 8869 2683 9am-5pm
- Community Services manager Harrow PCT
020 8869 2669 9am-5pm Tues-Thurs
- Interim Head of Dietetics
020 8869 2667 9.30am-5.30pm