Colposcopy is a simple examination that allows a doctor to see the type and area of an abnormality on the cervix.
Description of service
We provide an outpatients' diagnostic and treatment service by qualified colposcopists. The colposocopy team manages women with abnormal smears and treats precancerous lesions of the cervix.
The team also provides diagnostic and treatment for diseases of the vagina and vulva.
The service adheres to the government guidelines of providing colposocopy service in a timely manner for patients according to the grading of the referral smear. These are as follows:
- Glandular - within two weeks
- Moderate to severe - within four weeks
- Mild to border line - within eight weeks
Each week we provide the following:
- There are eight colposcopy clinics weekly
- Smear clinic for colposcopy patients
- Outpatient LLETZ (large loop excision of the transformation zone) treatment four times a week
- Dedicated female staff available in the clinic
Northwick Park and St Mark's Hospitals
Gynaecology outpatients, level 4 of the maternity unit.
Central Middlesex Hospital
ACAD area 3.