Trust wins prestigious health industry accolade
Our Trust has won an HSJ Efficiency in IT Award, a prestigious health industry accolade.
This was won jointly by the Trust’s theatre teams and IT company Newton Europe for their work on developing an IT system that improves the way operating lists are scheduled and how they run on the day of surgery.
As a result, patients experience significantly fewer cancellations, shorter waiting times and are less likely to be stressed by last-minute changes.
Some of the benefits of this award-winning initiative are:
• Patients are now protected by innovative bedside touchscreen safety checklists
• Operations are 15.6% less likely to be cancelled
• Patients have better access to surgery, with 4.9 extra operating lists per week at no extra cost to the NHS
• Theatre utilisation has increased from 70% to 81%, which is much higher than comparable international and UK hospitals
• 30% fewer late starts, a 15% reduction in under-booking of theatres and improved turnaround in operations
• Patients are more likely to be operated on within standard hours, with far fewer ‘catch-up’ lists
The Trust received the award with Newton Europe during a ceremony held at the Park Lane Hilton Hotel.